- This event has passed.
Mobile Data Collection using ODK Training Abuja, Nigeria
November 3 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm| FREE
Some years ago, the use of papers and pen was a painstaking and very expensive effort to collect data. Most of us have experienced paper forms getting wet or damaged, or receiving paper forms that were barely answered. But as the age of smartphones and tablets arrived, mobile-based data collection technologies have also gained a huge following. The use mobile data collection tools has also improved the conduct of surveys and assessments.
Open Data Kit (ODK) is a suite of tools that allows data collection using Android mobile devices and data submission to an online server. This training will equip the participants with skills to author, field and manage mobile data collection platform using ODK.
This course is aimed at organizational staffs who are conducting field data collection activities.
What you will learn
By the end of the training the participants will be able to:
- Create survey forms using Build or XLSForms
- Upload forms to an Aggregate server
- Load forms into Collect on an Android device
- Use Collect to fill out forms with participants
- Upload survey data from Collect to Aggregate
- Analyse or export data in Aggregate
Introduction to Mobile Data Collection
- Introduction to mobile phone data collection
- Common mobile based data collection platforms
- Advantages of Mobile Applications
- Data aggregation, storage, and dissemination
- Understanding question types forming a questionnaire
Introduction to Open Data Kit (ODK)
- Components of Open Data Kit (ODK)
- ODK Form
- ODK Collect Application Interface
- ODK Aggregate
- ODK Manage
- ODK platforms and formats
- Downloading and install ODK Collect into mobile devices or using APK file
Designing and Creating forms using ODK Build
- Creating ODK Collect Forms
- Downloading forms;
- Creating ODK Data Collect Form using Excel
- Creating and Publishing forms to Agregate or XML
- Designing forms directly on:
- ODK Build
Creating and Designing XLS form
- Introduction to XLS forms syntax
- Creating XLS forms manually
- ODK Collect Installation and Setup
- ODK Collect Menus, Settings and Security
- Form Management in Collect
- Best practices for ODK Collect
ODK Aggregate Server
- Configuring ODK Aggregate Server
- Uploading the form to aggregate server
- Submitting completed data to aggregate server
- Exporting data from ODK Aggregate as CSV
- Importing ODK – CSV file into statistical applications
Visualizing Geographic Data
- Downloading data directly from Aggregate
- Outputting data through;
Google Fusion Tables
- Exporting GPS Coordinates (Google maps) to Fusion Tables
- Exporting GPS data for Mapping/Visualizing (fusion map)
The course is taught through a hands-on training.
Conditions for Participation:
- You must be staff of an organization
- An official letter must be written by participant’s organization to Education Quest, and this should be submitted when filling the form online.
- Organisation can ONLY send one(1) staff.
- Participants should come with a Laptop, writing material and an Android enable phone.